Airbrush Online

Forum to discuss airbrush work, custom paint, etc...

Return to Customs by Ripper

NOTE- Please do not try to register with names like "John101" or Mary696567". Your membership will not be allowed. WE do not allow numbers in usernames. Numbers reek of SPAM registrations.

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Headlight Relays
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:31 pm 

Hello:
I am in need of some help with getting a relay and how to wire it for the Hi/Lo Beam function on a motorcycle headlight. I am using a "normally open" momentary micro switch (ie horn button) to activate the relay. I have tried a relay from Midwest Cycles (pn 17-116) that didn't work and one from Custom Chrome that turned out to be the exact same relay and also had the same results.
The project I am working on is the restoration, updating and mild customization of a Shovelhead FXWG that didn't have any of the stock switchs and much of or the need for the stock wiring harness left. So I have rewired it to cover my needs and everything works fine exept for not being able to get relyable Hi/Lo beams on the headlight.
Any help and assistance you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Virgil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:38 am 
Site Admin

You'll need a push on-push off switch or you'll need to wire up a latching relay.

It would be much easier to get the switch. If you have that, let me know, we'll go from there. I can explain how to wire up a latching relay, but it's a not-so-small project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:49 pm 

http://www.customchrome.com/catalogs/CCP2006/0506.html
pn 68600 Upper left hand corner

Ripper:

The link above is the switch I allready have mounted. If you can recomend an on off push button that is similar I am all for it. If not tell me what I need for a latching relay (I think thats what I have allready bought and tried but I am thinking the relays themselves were defective and I'm sure you how it is trying to return electical parts....It don't happen!!!)

http://www.customchrome.com/catalogs/CCP2006/0529.html
pn 17729
This is the relay that I have bought twice.

What about one of these????
http://shop.arlenness.com/store/product ... ct_ID+7086

Thank you for your input and help,

Virgil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:11 pm 
Site Admin

Ok,
First, your switch appears to be just a momentary push button. I don't know of any push on-push off switches styled like that.

Second, that relay is just a relay, it is not a latching relay. I'm guessing, if it's wired correctly, your high beam stays on only if you hold in the button.

Third, $100.00 is a lot of money, but it sure is simpler than wiring up a latching relay if you've never done one. It actually takes a few relays to make up one latching relay. I know of another way, but it's just as complicated. Although it takes only one relay, it takes a few other components as well.

I may have something you could use and it would be alot cheaper than $100.00
I'll let you know if I still have it (it's part of an automotive alarm system, but it can be made into what you need). I just don't know if I still have it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:04 pm 
Site Admin

I also just found this:
'Kirkham Motorsports' part # is DNI 0127. Any local NAPA dealer has it for under $30.00

Wired like this:

pin 56 +12v

pin 30 +12v
pin S switch

56a (low beams)

56b (high beams)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:48 pm 

Ripper:

Thank you very much for the info on the relay available from NAPA. I'll get me one and give it try, it sounds like what I'm looking for. I also took one of your tips and reran the headlight ground back to the frame instead of in the bucket. I'm a welder by trade and should have known better on that one!!!!

Thanks again,

Virgil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:03 am 

Ripper:

I got the relay that you mentioned and wired it like you said and it works PRIMO!!!!!
It is actually the exact same one that I got from Custom Chrome and Midwest but by a different manufacture.....What I did find out is that the wiring diagram that CCI sends with it is wrong and put a dead short on the low beam side and I think burns out the internal resistor.

Thanks again for all your help and maybe I can help you out some day in return.

Virgil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:37 am 
Site Admin

Virgil,
Glad to be of service. Feel free to post any time, post pictures of your bike, etc....